How Bark Life Works
Each competitor has the opportunity to participate each weekend in a run or walk/trek/hike. There are currently just 2 disciplines Canicross (the main activity that Barklife supports), CaniTrek (competitive dog walking/hiking/trekking). Competing is entirely at the option of the participant, who can compete as much or as little as they want during the entire year. The rule is that each day there can be only one reckonable submission each weekend. Over the weekend the reckonable submission will be considered the one with the fastest pace.
Submissions are made by applying a simple tag to your activity description in Barklife's Strava club. The rest is done automatically by the league and Barklife's results aggregator 'Synaptic'. It downloads competitor's activity data and calculates the participant's age-grade and classifies the result in multiple tables as an individual and a regional team. The calculation based on World Masters Athletics age grading system (2022 tables), this essentially levels the playing field between competitors of different ages and genders however unlike the league no coefficient for dogs are taken into account.
- League Canicross is designed to provide a framework and format for competitors to compete in a virtual manner safely, and enjoy the friendly competition observing a spirit of goods sportsmanship. We know its not the same as a real event and meeting up with fellow people who love the sport. But, perhaps this may be the next best thing ?.
- The league generates a modest amount of revenue whose proceeds are managed by our not for profit organisation. All proceeds are either donated to an appropriate charity, or ploughed back into the sport to promote growth of Canicross at grass roots level.
- The corner foundations of the league is of course good sportsmanship, canine welfare, and enjoyment of the sport we love so much. With this in mind the league is a points based format with WAVA age graded corrections, this makes it a level playing field and negates differences in performance according to age and gender. Naturally, we can’t compensate for the different abilities of our dogs, but since we are all the slower part of our team, physics will probably be the factor of difference.
- The league is not affiliated with any organisation, we may refer to other organisations, however, we are not affiliated with any other organising dog sport body.
Age, Gender & Human Classification
- All human participants must be over the age of 18 years on the date of a virtual race.
- As scoring uses WMA/WAVA age-grading as a basis for results calculation there shall be no categorisation of age, gender or any other method of classification of a person. They are either an adult over 18 years or not.
Registration, Fees & Changes to Entries
- The league entry fee covers participation in full season, off-season, recreation, bikejor, canitrek, caniswim leagues, knockout tournament and virtual races.
- Registration will only be accepted via the web portal only
- Changes to entries must be made by email to the league.
- There is no refund available if you withdraw from the league.
Should part of the league season have to be cancelled or postponed for reason beyond the organisers control no refund is applicable, however a discretionary credit may be issued against future league due